Skip to content Skip to footer
Your Child's Physical Exam

Follow each of these steps to help your child transition to Kindergarten.

Gather Required Documents Needed

Contact your school district at the beginning of January of the year your child will enter kindergarten.

Click here to find your child’s assigned school district.

Request copies of all preschool progress reports, assessments, evaluations, and teacher narratives about your child. It is good practice to make all requests in writing (by letter or email).

For Kindergarten registration, school districts typically require that you provide:

  • Your child’s original birth certificate
  • Documents proving that you live within district boundaries (utility bill: gas/electric or water)
  • Proof that your child’s immunizations are up to date.  You may also want to get copies of medical reports related to your child’s special needs.  Ask questions about any educational or medical reports you do not understand or disagree with.
  • EdChoice Scholarship Information (if attending a private school)
    Click link: EdChoice Scholarship Information and Application
  • Records from K-Readiness Summer School Programs
  • The Kindergarten Readiness Assessment (KRA)


Enroll Online

Most school districts offer online enrollment.  Check with your child’s district to confirm their process.

Special Education Needs: IEP Transition to Kindergarten

The Office of Early Learning and School Readiness provides technical assistance and resources for K-Ready Ohio partners.  They work with families, preschool staff and communities to meet the individual needs of preschool children with disabilities.

This guidance will help the IEP team plan for your child’s success, making the transition from preschool to elementary school a positive experience.

Click link: Ohio Department of Education Special Education Resource Guide

The Jon Peterson Special Needs (JPSN) Scholarship Program provides scholarships to students who are eligible to attend kindergarten through 12th grade and have an Individualized Education Program (IEP) from their district.
Click link: Parent Information – Special Needs Scholarship

Follow each of these steps to help your child transition to Kindergarten.

Attend Orientation and Tours at Your Child’s School

Attend School Family Meeting on “What to Expect When Transitioning to Kindergarten”.  Speak with an Enrollment Specialist in your child’s district about kindergarten registration procedures and requirements.


More Resources for Kindergarten Enrollment

Below are links to additional resources you may find helpful during the Kindergarten enrollment process.

Information You Need To Know About The Individual with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA)

The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) protects the rights of students with disabilities and the rights of their parents. This guide tells you about those rights. Your school must give you a copy of the guide once every year if your child receives special education services. You also must receive a copy:

  • If you ask for your child to be evaluated because you think your child may have a disability;
  • If your school district wants to have your child evaluated because it thinks your child may have a disability;
  • If you file (submit) a complaint – in writing – with the Office for Exceptional Children at the Ohio Department of Education, and it is your first complaint of the school year;
  • If you file (submit) a request – in writing – with the Office for Exceptional Children at the Ohio Department of Education for a due process hearing regarding your child’s education, and it is the first time in the school year you have asked for one;
  • If your child has been removed from school for disciplinary (behavior) reasons – and your child has already been removed from school for 10 days or more during the current school year; or
  • Any time you ask for a copy of the guide.


Follow each of these steps to help your child transition to Kindergarten.